It’s a broad topic but for better or for worse yoga has become a practice that can range from meditation to acrobats. The good news is that there’s something for everyone, and if you’re a true practitioner there’s no judgement about what styles of yoga come and go, as long as it’s offering a positive experience.
The other benefit of the vast offering of yoga styles is that you can switch it up, explore and sample so many different styles that its unlikely that you’ll ever get bored with it. And even if you decide one day to retire the yoga mat and use those yoga blocks for foot rests, remember that the real purpose of the practice is to apply it to all other aspects of your life.
Nothing is more of a drag than poor health or annoying injuries so at the very least remember that all that you learn on your mat will help you learn how to walk, run, dance, swim, hike, think, breathe and live with better awareness of how to do it right!
For those physical fitness junkies out there, remember that while strength and speed have their place, dexterity, coordination, agility, focus, efficiency and range of motion are just some of the other tools that are required for optimal movement. Because yoga is so all-inclusive, yoga fills in the gaps of your training, speeds recovery and ensures that you don’t have any weak links in your musculo-skeletal system.
For those meditative monks seeking enlightenment, neglecting the body ends up becoming a very distracting hassle of unpleasant sensations and illness and that ultimately, losing touch with one aspect of ourselves means harming the whole.
The nice thing about yoga is that it has as much or as little content as you want. You can explore the rich mental and spiritual aspects of yoga, using the moving meditation to develop your mind and spirit and transform your life in ways you’ve never imagined. Or, fast forward and skip all that, using it simply as hardcore calisthenics to tune up your muscles and joints.
The bottom line is that regardless of your agenda, YOGA IS FUN! It’s play for adults, who never get to stand on one foot and pretend they’re a tree. It lets you try new things without fear. It’s a chance to meet like-minded people and learn something new. It teaches you about yourself – how you handle challenge and ‘uncharted territory’, how to be patient with yourself and how to encourage and inspire yourself. Yoga reconnects your mind and body into a beautiful, self-aware, ever-improving whole.
Yoga is the ultimate package of physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health and well being. Doing the right type of yoga can guide you to recognize what tools are accessible to you to improve performance, health, mood, attitude and focus.
- increases flexibility, body tissue elasticity and range of motion
- strengthens the muscles and tendons, especially stabilizer muscles
- increases bone density of the entire skeletal system
- develops balance and coordination
- corrects posture and body alignment
- facilitation and enhancement of the body’s return to homeostasis following stressful situations
- improves function of internal organs via (a) proper posture so they’re held correctly and (b) internal compression that detoxes and flushes them out for improved function
- enhances cardiovascular ability, both lowering resting heart rate and making oxygen use more efficient
- works with your own body’s resistance which is ideal for optimal performance and movement
- burns energy (150-400 calories per hour)
- decreases potential of injury due to improved structural support and stability
- stimulates key pressure points which govern the flow of life energy or prana
- adjusts muscular imbalances
- stimulates the immune system
- incorporates breathing exercises to build stamina, enhance performance, soothe the nervous system and calm the cognitive process
- decreases cortisol levels, resulting in lower blood sugar levels and heightened insulin response, resulting in less inflammation and less chance of diabetes and heart disease
- decreases the chance of arthritis and joint issues by moving full motion and “squeezing and soaking” the cartilage, flushing out toxins and soaking in extra nutrients
- decreases pain and fatigue
- increases happiness and improves attitude
- develops discipline
- improves sleep quality
- elevates energy levels
- increases proprioception (the ability for the mind to direct where and how the body moves. Touching your fingers to your nose with your eyes closed, or stepping back and having your foot land perfectly parallel to your other foot without looking takes proprioception)
- develops and enhances coping mechanisms when moving beyond one’s comfort zone and dealing with fear, doubt, discomfort
- decreases stress and tension
- improves reaction time and sharpen motor skills
- encourages mindfulness, embodiment & awareness
- enhances mental and creative focus
- invites and encourages the development of a meditation practice
- promotes self-worth and confidence
- accelerates the mode of flow states
- provides a sense of accomplishment, self-acceptance, reward and fulfillment
You can get hurt doing anything wrong. Without proper instruction, typically what happens over time is that a practice is developed with unhealthy habits which accumulatively can cause bodily misalignment and injury. Your body most likely has decades of damage and rust that needs to be restored before you can move as well as the average 5 year old.
Get through the fundamental and beginner levels before you take on the epic bosses. Poses done shallowly but properly are beautiful. Poses forced beyond all recognition are nothing more than an stressed shape that are more damaging than healing.
Why ThirdEye Yoga?
ThirdEye Yoga continues to be an ideal space for people seeking the support, guidance and environment that every student deserves. We develop the optimal yoga practice personally customized for each person. Our programs guide you to cultivate an awareness of the general principles and tools for smart movement, and to understand the mechanics and essence of somatics that are essential to everyday life activities. We encourage questions, provide demos and offer attentive adjustments. Thirdeye offers practical and realistic rates because we know how invaluable yoga is for optimal health and fitness.
read even MORE amazing information about WHY YOGA WORKS
In Gratitude and Abundance ~
Real Body Awareness and Mindful Movement at Realistic Rates